IT Costs Can be Reduced for Healthcare Providers
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Electronic Health Record (EHR)requirements are increasing healthcare IT costs. Plans to accelerate health information exchange (HIE) proposed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services; to build a seamless and secure flow of information, including patient access to health records, is essential to transforming the U.S. healthcare system will put further pressure on existing IT environments.
At the same time, the ACA is likely to decrease payment rates for Medicare and Medicaid populations and, in combination with a slowly expanding economy, healthcare providers are likely to feel increased pressures on their profit margins. In other words, they will need to increase profits by reducing costs and doing more with less.
Savvy technology leaders in healthcare that are looking to cut costs still need to focus on improving the reliability; control and transparency of their IT infrastructure are turning to outsourcing Remote Infrastructure Monitoring and Management (RIMM). Gartner reports “70% of IT support for infrastructure services can be performed from a remote location, reducing labor costs by 10% to 50%, resulting in a 3% to 30% overall net savings, excluding one-time transition charges.
How to reduce IT costs? Managed Services for Healthcare Providers
Yes, IT costs can be reduced. IT consulting experts at Synoptek are constantly reviewing how to reduce IT costs without degrading performance. After 20 years providing IT consulting, here are some ideas.
- Data Center Optimization – Managing computing resources and storage to avoid departmental silos. Consolidate where possible and employ the management tools to measure results.
- Replace Legacy Servers – In addition to requiring more maintenance, newer servers support higher levels of workload consolidation (more VM’s). By outsourcing storage, you can get improved performance at a lower cost.
- Network Expenses – Carrier prices are falling, and the “right” data center partners offer less expensive cross-connects that can replace long-haul circuits. You need to deploy network management tools to monitor performance.
- Cloud-Based Computing – Yes, Microsoft Office 365, Amazon, Azure, and many other cloud-based solutions can save you money supporting, securing and managing user PCs. Initial configuration and setup are critical when using these providers.
- IT Outsourcing – Leading managed it services providers, like Synoptek, provide a full range of IT services offering economies of scale. One company to manage security, patching, upgrades, email, servers, networks and end-user devices. The same company also provides 24×7 Help Desk services, that way when the help desk gets calls, problems become visible and can get remediated quickly.
- Simplify IT Architecture – by carefully matching business goals to IT infrastructure. This includes IT applications and end user support requirements. Don’t let your IT infrastructure grow organically, make a plan to eliminate non-standard devices, legacy applications, and duplicated systems.
- IT Operations Processes – often overlooked IT operations inefficiencies can drive up expenses quickly. Poor processes can result in more money spent for support, maintenance, user productivity and at the same time prevent innovation and competitive advantage.
- Consider the Future – an understanding of your business objectives and goals and migrating your current IT environment to support strategic innovation requires attention to both IT infrastructure and operating processes.
So What is the Best Way to Address these Cost Saving Items?
Most organizations would hire an IT consulting firm to address these items. However, very few consulting firms have the depth of skills needed to address all of these items. Many IT consulting firms have specialties, so you need to understand their expertise. You do not want a consulting firm with a focus on backup and disaster recovery services to provide recommendations for operations processes.
IT environments today are so interdependent and interconnected that we recommend selecting a consulting firm with a broad range of experience in many disciplines, like Synoptek.
Synoptek’s Healthcare IT Focus Lowers It Costs
Read more about how Synoptek’s “IT as a Service” approach has saved hundreds of thousands of dollars for many medical centers and hospitals. See testimonials from some of these clients by viewing the short videos below.
- Healthcare Providers using Synoptek Managed IT Services – Case Studies
- Cloud Migration Strategy and Checklist – Blog
- Documentation detailing IT Infrastructure consulting, implementation and support – White Papers
- Briefs on healthcare related topics – Blogs
- Recent topics regarding Cyber Security for healthcare providers – Cyber Security Updates
- Healthcare Providers using Synoptek Managed IT Services – Video Case Studies
Compliant IT Infrastructure Managed Services
Synoptek’s Remote Infrastructure Monitoring and Management (RIMM) services provide a HIPAA compliant matrix of integrated offerings that provide a robust set of services ranging from system event monitoring and triage to the transfer of complete end-to-end support services delivery. Our clients will validate savings exceeding the ranges projected by Gartner (above) along with improved IT performance.
Use of electronic health records can reduce the cost of outpatient care. Problems with electronic medical records and “paperwork” are hindering physician’s practices. According to a recent RAND Corp. study, 80% of physicians want electronic records.
Give us a call to learn more about our IT monitoring and management, data storage, disaster recovery and file sharing services for Healthcare providers.
We have compiled a list below to help you determine if IT as a service (ITaaS) is a good way to lower IT costs:
- Growth of your data is increasing, and your IT infrastructure cannot keep up
- Legacy systems exist and are quickly becoming obsolete and harder to support
- Number of sites, devices, systems and users is increasing
- As everything is growing so is your ability to manage risk, security and compliance
- Finance wants to move from a capital to an operating expense model
- Existing IT infrastructure is fragmented and becoming more complex to manage and monitor
- Maintenance is burdensome and licensing, and support contracts are becoming problems
Data is critical to your healthcare business and if the security and management of that data is equally important, then you want to establish a relationship with a provider like Synoptek that will be a partner with you, and not a faceless vendor who just sells a commodity solution.
Understand Synoptek's Better Approach to: Managed IT Services, Cloud Hosting, IT Consulting and IT Security Services
- Learn more About Us and our Mission and Vision in the Managed IT Services industry.
- Synoptek is committed to improving the quality of life throughout the areas we serve. Learn more about the community organizations we support.
- Synoptek’s wide-range of operational experience delivers unbiased IT Consulting results.
- Synoptek's Managed Cloud Hosting provides AWS, Azure and Hybrid solutions to fit any need.
- Compare our IT infrastructure management services that consistently win industry awards.
- Learn about Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity services.
- Our US based 24x7 Help Desk and IT infrastructure management services work better together for quicker problem resolution.
- Understand more about IT Security and Compliance by reviewing our Managed Security Services.
- Analyze why IT Outsourcing can work for you.
- Some organizations like local support, find out more about our services in: Orange County, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Sacramento, Denver, Boise, Boulder, Fort Collins and Colorado Springs.
- We now have locations in Raleigh, Rochester, Boston, Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, and Saint John, New Brunswick. Check out our facilities in each of these locations.